Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Cancer isn't very practical either.

I just read this post by Bamboogeek who has a great blog, but his comment kind of struck me as odd - he states "Can't say its really practical to abolish all plastics from your life". He goes on to list some ways one can minimize plastic use, like avoiding frozen TV dinners and bottled water, etc.

I don't see it that way at all. I don't want to minimize plastics in my life, I want to get rid of them altogether. Not just in my life, but yours too. I want it to be illegal for anyone to use plastics for any consumer products except appliances. There are some industrial applications where plastic parts in factory machinery may be necessary in the short run also.

I have abolished all plastics from my life except those plastics found in appliances and devices, such as my refrigerator, television, DVD player, cable box and things like electric guitars. This computer I'm using is plastic as well, but I'm looking into purchasing one of the many wooden computer systems available out there.

If you're trying to minimize plastics in your house just because you want to "do the right thing" for recycling and the environment, you're barking up the wrong tree, because those good intentions can't hold out forever against the allure of Starbucks and Lunchables. No, your reasoning behind making your life as plastic-free as possible should be because of your own personal health concerns. The toxic outgassing of ALL plastics is the first and best reason you should want to get it out of your house or apartment right now, today, this minute.

No comments: